Monday, November 2, 2009

Times are changing

Before I came to Zimbabwe, some people tried to give me a gloomy picture of stores with empty shelves. They were not very updated because when I arrived in Harare what did I find but a well equipped Spar store around the corner? There has been nothing I haven’t been able to find so far, and if you have American dollars, you’ve got it!

It is strange being here now. On the one side it is very comfortable being able to easily access food and toiletries. At the same time, I almost feel like I’ve cheated. I jumped right into the part where those with money can get whatever they want, just like most places in the world. I would probably not have enjoyed not being able to purchase what I wanted when I wanted it, but I do like the idea of everyone having to deal with the same reality.

No comments: